Re: Undefined symbol "__mb_sb_limit" during 7.0-BETA1 installworld

From: Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET <ml_at_t-b-o-h.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:08:22 -0400 (EDT)

> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 13:02 -0400, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 	I brought up a machine fresh last nite with 7.0-BETA1
> > > and wanted to make world for myself. During the install of
> > > lib/libc, after :
> > >
> > > install -o root -g wheel -m 444 xdr.3.gz /usr/share/man/man3
> > >
> > > 	I got :
> > >
> > > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Undefined symbol "__mb_sb_limit" referenced from COPY relocation in /bin/sh
> > >
> > > 	Now, most commands give me that error... I
> > > can't even "ls".
> > >
> > > 	What happened?????
> > >
> > > 		Thanks, Tuc
> > >
> > 	I'm back at a machine with a browser and now see
> > others fell into this.
> >
> > 	So for the 7.0-BETA1, whats the correct CVS-Tag?
> > I used RELENG_7.
> >
> I got into this issue on one box freshly installed from oct-18 snapshot
> and then upgraded to oct-20 RELENG_7 via cvsup. It didn't happen on four
> others already running various (week to month old) versions of 7-CURRENT
> - all of them upgraded to RELENG_7 on oct-20 without any problem.

	This is a 7.0-BETA1 mini iso fresh install, FTP'd a "minimal" install.
Then cvsup of RELENG_7, and build/install.

> If you didn't remove your /usr/obj/ yet, you can easilly fix
> installworld by copying and replacing the broken userland tools
> manually, e.g.
> `cp -f /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/date /usr/bin/`, etc.
>
> You will need to copy at least these:
> /bin/sh
> /usr/bin/make
> /usr/bin/awk
> /usr/sbin/mtree
> /usr/sbin/zic
> /lib/libedit.so.6
> /lib/libncurses.so.7
>
> as described in:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-October/078196.html

	Yup, found that... But just a start... :)

> But I remember there were a few more of them, "find" being the one you
> will need, as it is used to check for audit group. Just copy a first
> batch of them, run installworld, look for what else is broken, copy it
> over from /usr/obj/, run installworld again, etc. It will take a few
> minutes, but it will work.

	I had to do :

/usr/bin/env
/usr/lib/libgnuregex.so.4
/usr/lib/libbz2.so.3
/usr/bin/find

	and then it went through, but I KNOW some were bad. So as the
email suggests, I did it again.

	When I went to mergemaster, it started to tell me it wanted
to install OLDER rev's of some files. I forgot which, I'm sorry.

	So after a reboot, the base system is fine. But now ANYTHING
I have out of ports gives me the same error on anything. perl, startx,
etc. How do I fix all that (I can't "portupgrade -fa", ruby gives the
same errors)

	My initial question is WHAT DID I DO WRONG?????

			Thanks, Tuc