Re: panic in 8-CURRENT / BGE hang

From: Cristi Magherusan <cristi.magherusan_at_net.utcluj.ro>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:39:07 +0200
On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 22:34 +0200, Szymon Kozak wrote:
> On 10/25/07, JoaoBR <joao_at_matik.com.br> wrote:
> > >  The main goal of the two technologies is the same, i.e., out-of-band
> > >  server management. Both use Remote Management and Control Protocol
> > >  (RMCP) for the network protocol but ASF is implemented on NIC
> > >  firmware level while IPMI is implemented on baseboard management
> > >  controller (BMC). Now BCM57xx firmware has built-in ASF stack and
> > >  the interface can be shared with BMC. If there is a BMC on-board and
> > >  network controller is shared, obviously you cannot just reset the
> > >  controller, etc. You have to 'tell' the firmware that you are about
> > >  to do critical things, such as reset, start, stop, link negotiation,
> > >  etc, so that it can communicate with BMC beforehand. If you turn on
> > >  hw.bge.allow_asf, it does just that. Unfortunately, it does not work
> > >  for all systems in the real world because they are not created equal,
> > >  e.g., different spec. revisions, hardware implementations, firmware,
> > >  BIOS, etc. Basically some system fails *without* it while some
> > >  system fails *with* it. Hence, the tunable was necessary. At least,
> > >  that is how I understand it.
> >

> >  thank you, that was great
> >
> >  but would really not harm to put something about resumed into the man page
> >

>  Hello,
>  I have the same problem, but change value to hw.bge.allow_asf="0"
>  doesn't work for me.
>  I have Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet in my ThinkPad R61.
>  Dmesg from FreeBSD-STABLE shows:
>
>  bge0: <Broadcom BCM5754/5787 A2, ASIC rev. 0xb002> mem
>  0xfe000000-0xfe00ffff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci4
>
>  Here is complete dmesg: http://slane.pl/tmp/dmesg.txt
>
>  Anybody know what's wrong?

Hello,

I've tried again the latest version of if_bge.c on my HP 6710b laptop
with no results, even after setting hw.bge.allow_asf="0". I've also
tried with the debugger and it seems to panic when calling free() in
device_probe_child.c (IIRC). Then I #define'd BUS_PROBE and the freeze
occurs after displaying something like "devclass_alloc_unit: now: unit 0
in devclass bge".

The 7 Beta 1.5 install CD hangs also when loading the driver.

I have a coredump made from whithin the debugger with the exact place
where the faulty free() occurs, so I can provide more exact info if
someone is interested. I just hope this is not a heisen-bug.

Best regards,
Cristi

--
Cristi Magherusan,