Re: dump problems

From: Danny Braniss <danny_at_cs.huji.ac.il>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:47:16 +0300
> On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 18:51 +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
> > dump start out nicely, but then it justs hangs.
> > have tried it with different file systems, the output
> > is also a file, again tried it with different file system.
> > the only way it works is if the output file is /dev/null (very
> > fast, but not realy helpful :-)
>
> When it hangs, what is printed when you send it a CTRL-T?

off the top of my head:

... running ...

it seems to be a problem on the writing side, since setting the output
to /dev/null actually works.

the commands used were:

dump 0Lf - /some/file/system | restore rf -
this got stuck, so I started experimenting:
dump 0Lf file.dump  /some/file/system

gets stuck, ^T will mostly return ... [running] ... since at least
one of the dump process is running, but my guess it's just monitoring.
I also tried without the L flag, but did not change the result.
the only dump that finishes, is when the output is /dev/null.

danny