DVD drive not detected on GA-G33-DS3R

From: Nathan Butcher <n-butcher_at_fusiongol.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:24:43 +0900
I picked up a Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R with the intent on running ZFS on it.
The GA-G33-DS3R has 8 internal SATA ports of which 6 are provided by the
Intel Southbridge ICH9 chipset and the other 2 are provided by the
'Gigabyte SATAII' chipset, which in reality is a JMicron JMB363, a
supposedly very well supported chip, and FreeBSD detects it as such.

I have a standard SATA DVD combo drive, but regardless of what mode
(IDE, RAID, AHCI) I put the "Gigabyte SATAII chipset" in, FreeBSD won't
detect it as /dev/acd0. Strange, because I can boot up the snapshot CD
and get as far as selecting media from which to install FreeBSD --
except to be told that no CD drive is found.

Working from the 200708-amd64 snapshot, the ICH9 only works in SATA300
mode when the chipset is placed in RAID mode, and is then detected by
FreeBSD as ICH8 - and that seems to work. FreeBSD isn't picking up the
drives when the chipset is in AHCI mode despite this message back in July:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hardware/2007-July/004562.html

Will try updating to the latest sources from the 200708 snapshot to see
if that changes anything.