Re: Swapping on ZFS - stability issue

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 12:00:42 +0200
[kris]
> Please follow the directions in the developers handbook chapter on kernel
> debugging to obtain the relevant debugging information.

Apologies. Aside from the first instance, where the machine had sat
there for 12+ hours, I never got any panic message or anything like
that which gives an opportunity for a stacktrace, etc.

[pjd]
> This is a known issue also in OpenSolaris. ZFS needs to allocate memory
> to send I/O request, and when there is no memory, it can't allocate it
> thus can't swap a process out and free it.

Ok, so a known issue. Unless someone tells me otherwise I'll update
the ZFS-on-FreeBSD Wiki pages to warn about this issue (assuming it's
editable by me).

Thank you,

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org