Re: Retirement of CAM_QUIRK_NOSERIAL

From: Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:54:27 +0200
On Mon, 10.09.2007 at 22:12:52 -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> All,
>
> The attached patch should make CAM behave properly with regard to
> probing device serial numbers only when the device advertises that
> it supports it.  It will hopefully eliminate the need for the
> CAM_QUIRK_NOSERIAL quirk (one instance is left because of an unrelated
> legacy problem that may or may not be possible to fix).  This should
> especially benefit USB-UMASS devices, where the console output should
> be less noisy.  It might even make more devices work out-of-the-box.

While this patch is working fine with my USB/FW HDD enclosure, it breaks
my MP3 USB stick

kernel: umass0: <Samsung YP-U2, class 0/0, rev 2.00/10.01, addr 8> on uhub5
kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
[...]
kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): got CAM status 0x4
kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
kernel: cam_debug: queuing for immediate ccb
kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry

This stick needs the SHUTTLE_INIT | NO_GETMAXLUN quirk. Perhaps there is some
interdependencies?

The patch also, does not magically allow me to read retail DVDs through my
Plextor drive when attached via cd(4), but that is not the goal of the patch
anyway.

It's funny, though. If I quirk this Plextor DVD to NO_INQUIRY, it will attach
via da(4) (sic!) and suddenly all kinds of DVD media start working!

umass0: <PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-755A, class 0/0, rev 2.00/4.35, addr 8> on uhub5
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <  > Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 3001MB (1536688 2048 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 95C)

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.