Re: GSoC2007: cnst-sensors.2007-09-13.patch

From: Constantine A. Murenin <cnst_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:44:58 -0400
On 20/09/2007 19:12, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
>
>> Thanks for testing!
>

> Glad to help. In case it's interesting, I was doing the xorg update with
> portmaster last night and I got several "PROCHOT asserted" messages on
> my console at different times. I'm assuming that's expected behavior,
> just curious if it's something bad, as in when that happens it's time to
> turn off the laptop? (I didn't seem them when the happened, they were
> there when I got back to check on the compiling.)

Based on the fact that it's a laptop, I'm not too surprised -- the word
'laptop' in itself should not be taken literally due to the heat that
these things produce -- you clearly don't want them on your lap. :-)

>>> Two small comments about the rc.d stuff. First, the empty _flags
>>> variable in defaults/rc.conf should be commented out. Second, the rc.d
>>

>> How so?  I don't see any other empty _flags variables in
>> defaults/rc.conf being commented out.
>

> Well you missed named_flags. :) But seriously, I didn't realize that
> things had gotten quite so out of hand with that ... never mind then.
>
>>> script needs the shutdown KEYWORD.
>>

>> Similarly, I don't see why this is needed -- it was not used by the
>> scripts on which this script was based on
>

> Which scripts? I realize that a distressingly large number of scripts
> that start services don't have this keyword, but they should. I'll work
> on a patch for that. At the same time, we don't want to add any new
> scripts that make the same mistake.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/p4-projects/2007-September/020980.html
"add /etc/rc.d/sensorsd, modelled after ftpproxy and somewhat around powerd"

>> Reading through rc(8) doesn't seem to suggest that this keyword would
>> actually be applicable here.
>

> As far as I can tell, you're starting a daemon, which means that it
> should be cleanly shut down when the system exits.

Again, this is not how the majority of other daemons do it.  Moreover, I
am not aware of any practical problems with the current approach.

> Doug

C.