Re: SATA DVD-Drive

From: Niki Denev <nike_d_at_cytexbg.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:47:44 +0300
2007/9/23, Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer_at_omnisec.de>:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there's a chance to get a SATA DVD drive working.
> I have a ich9 controller in AHCI mode and a JMB363 with no fixed mode, but my
> drive doesn't get recognized on the ich9 controller in AHCI nor on the
> JMB363, neither in AHCI nor in IDE/RAID mode.
> Instead I have a very strange issue when the drive is connected to the JBM363:
> Xorg stops working with the nvidia driver, it can't find a card anymore...
> Very strange, as soon as I unplug the drive xorg works fine again.
> But that's another matter.
>
> Thanks for any hints,
>
> -Harry

Hi,

I've had similar problems with ICH8 mobo.
Seems like no matter what mode i set for the JMicron controller (ide/raid/ahci)
freebsd sees it as ahci and optical drive does not work.
However i made my SATA DVD drive work by putting it on a ICH sata port
and setting IDE mode.

I've also had exacly the same issue with Xorg and Nvidia driver when i
have JMicron enabled, and it seems that when i enable the "memory
remapping feature" in the BIOS it works again properly.

And btw, this is on Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard.

hth,
Niki