Re: SATA DVD-Drive

From: Nathan Butcher <n-butcher_at_fusiongol.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:20:09 +0900
>Hi,

>I've had similar problems with ICH8 mobo.
>Seems like no matter what mode i set for the JMicron controller
>(ide/raid/ahci)
>freebsd sees it as ahci and optical drive does not work.
>However i made my SATA DVD drive work by putting it on a ICH sata port
>and setting IDE mode.

>I've also had exacly the same issue with Xorg and Nvidia driver when i
>have JMicron enabled, and it seems that when i enable the "memory
>remapping feature" in the BIOS it works again properly.

>And btw, this is on Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard.

>hth,
>Niki

I'm getting exactly the same problem with a SATA DVD drive in my
Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R's JMicron controller. It doesn't matter what mode I
put the controller in (IDE/AHCI/RAID-IDE),  FreeBSD notices the presence
of the controller in dmesg, but does not recognize either SATA DVD
drives nor hard drives attached to it. They just don't make an
appearance in /dev (Unlike the ICH9 drives on this mobo).

I think somebody determined that there has been some regression here,
because the JMicron controller works on FreeBSD 6.2 apparently.
That counts as two SATA chipsets I've noticed regression in with
7.0-CURRENT (Jmicron and Promise SATA 150/300 TX4), which I really hope
get fixed before 7.0-RELEASE.

I was having issues with Xorg 7.3 crashing and acting erratically on my
motherboard as well, although I had no idea that the JMicron controller
could have had anything to do with it.