Re: Parallel port printing crashes 7.0 system

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:32:20 -0700
> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:50:37 +0200 (CEST)
> From: "P.U.Kruppa" <ulrich_at_pukruppa.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > P.U.Kruppa wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I use a HP Deskjet 990 Cxi via parallel port with cups and hpijs driver on
> >>
> >> FreeBSD pukruppa.net 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Fri Sep 21
> >> 16:52:59 CEST 2007 amd64
> >>
> >> When I try to print a little bit more complex documents (OpenOffice, pdf)
> >> my System will crash.
> >>
> >> On my root terminal there will be a long list of
> >> lpt0: [ITHREAD]
> >> lpt0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> >> lpt0: [ITHREAD]
> >> [...]
> >> lines, then some dumping activity and a reboot.
> >>
> >> I upgraded to 7.0 last week, so all I can say is: everything was fine with
> >> 6.2 .
> >>
> >> Please tell me if you need more information.
> >
> > Well yeah, how about e.g. the actual details from the panic?
> How do I get them?
> Do I have to recompile my kernel (I put off debugging and Witness
> Options)?

You probably should look at the section on debug in the handbook.

At a minimum, you need a kernel built with "makeoptions DEBUG=-g". Other
than a bit of disk space and a few seconds while building the kernel,
this costs nothing and should always be in the kernel config; not just
when you want to look at a problem.

You also want the KDB, DDB, and GDB options in the config. These also
have no impact on performance, but do eat some memory.

Since this looks locking related, WITNESS is probably a good idea, but
it is a big performance hit. I'd also add INVARIANTS and
INVARIANT_SUPPORT. The cost of this is much lower than WITNESS, but
it's not free, either.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)