Re: SATA DVD-Drive

From: Nathan Butcher <n-butcher_at_fusiongol.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:27:26 +0900
Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Nathan Butcher wrote:
>> I think somebody determined that there has been some regression here,
>> because the JMicron controller works on FreeBSD 6.2 apparently.
>> That counts as two SATA chipsets I've noticed regression in with
>> 7.0-CURRENT (Jmicron and Promise SATA 150/300 TX4), which I really
>> hope get fixed before 7.0-RELEASE.
>
> Yes, I have a very similar motherboard, same JMicron controller, it
> works in 6.2 but not in 7.
>
> I haven't checked if "Remap memory" is set on my system though.. I will
> check soon.

I don't think I have this option on my motherboard's BIOS.

BTW, I am running with a Silicon Image 3124 chipset 4 port SATA-II card
now (of generic Taiwanese make), and have had no issues with it. Seems
like a good chipset for cheap ZFS on CURRENT. Fingers crossed, the
driver won't break until RELEASE.

>> I was having issues with Xorg 7.3 crashing and acting erratically on
>> my motherboard as well, although I had no idea that the JMicron
>> controller could have had anything to do with it.
>
> I hadn't noticed any problem with video in 6.2 but I haven't used it
> much (VESA only so it's slow)

The G33 Intel on-board graphics chipset on my motherboard should now be
supported in Xorg 7.3 with the latest xorg "intel" driver -- if only I
could get xorg to start up in CURRENT without locking up my system.