Re: panic: kmem_malloc(131072): kmem_map too small (AMD64)

From: Darren Reed <darrenr_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:57:00 -0700
Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Well yes, that is one hypothesis, but the evidence points elsewhere as
> well.  Prior the change you reference, some of my zfs machines would
> run for weeks before hitting a load pattern that exhausted their
> kmem_map and triggered the panic.  Also unless I have missed it I am
> not seeing the sudden flood of panic reports that may indicate sudden
> breakage.  It is quite possible that this particular report has
> nothing to do with the recent change.

Indeed.

But here's something else to ponder...

I've been using ZFS since it was internal beta at Sun, at first on i386
and later on amd64.
I've never run into this kind of panic on Solaris.  System can get very
slow, yes, with
ZFS hogging lots of memory, but it never panic'd because of it.

We need to come up with a strategy here to solve this problem, be it
fixing the kmem
virtual memory or fixing zfs.

Darren