Re: The safety expansion for FreeBSD rm(1)

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:43:18 -0500
On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:58:37PM +0900, Daichi GOTO wrote:
>  Hi Guys again
>
>  Today is not unionfs. Introduction for safety expansion of rm(1).
>  I know that some unix folks have a experience that you remove some
>  files or directories accidentally. Yes, me too. LoL
>
>  Have you any dreams that rm(1) autonomously judges target should
>  be remove or not?  To complexify system base command is objectionable
>  behavior but adding some little and simple mechanism to prevent a
>  issue is acceptable I suppose.
>
>  We have created safety expansion for rm(1). If you have any interests,
>  please try follow patch.
>
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi/safety-rm/
>
>  Thanks :)

This seems like an interesting extension of rm(1) in a fairly harmless manner.
It seems like a fairly logical extension of the tcsh rmstar variable.  The
one concern I would have with it is that unlike the rmstar variable, it would
always run even if the rm command is run in a script.

What do you think of adding a flag to enable this behavior so users
could make rm an alias that uses the flag?  That would keep it from
effecting scripts.

-- Brooks