Re: The safety expansion for FreeBSD rm(1)

From: Daichi GOTO <daichi_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:55:03 +0900
Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:58:37PM +0900, Daichi GOTO wrote:
>>  Hi Guys again
>>
>>  Today is not unionfs. Introduction for safety expansion of rm(1).
>>  I know that some unix folks have a experience that you remove some
>>  files or directories accidentally. Yes, me too. LoL
>>
>>  Have you any dreams that rm(1) autonomously judges target should
>>  be remove or not?  To complexify system base command is objectionable
>>  behavior but adding some little and simple mechanism to prevent a
>>  issue is acceptable I suppose.
>>
>>  We have created safety expansion for rm(1). If you have any interests,
>>  please try follow patch.
>>
>>    http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi/safety-rm/
>>
>>  Thanks :)
>
> This seems like an interesting extension of rm(1) in a fairly harmless manner.

Yes, that's what it is :)

> It seems like a fairly logical extension of the tcsh rmstar variable.  The
> one concern I would have with it is that unlike the rmstar variable, it would
> always run even if the rm command is run in a script.
>
> What do you think of adding a flag to enable this behavior so users
> could make rm an alias that uses the flag?  That would keep it from
> effecting scripts.

Great! Exactly my point. We have gotten a discussion that to
add an option like that or not. Yeah, we'll add an option you
pointed.

What is a best alphabet as option charactor do you think?
-s (means safety remove)?? -e (means rm expansion)??
Is -s better??

--
   Daichi GOTO, http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi