Re: iwi oddities

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:17:37 -0500
On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 09:13:22PM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 08:13:53PM -0400, Nathan Lay wrote:
> >  Hi list,
> >  With these rc.conf flags
> >
> >  ifconfig_iwi0="powersave wme -bgscan"
> >
> >  iwi decides to bring itself up on boot.  iwi in 6.2 never brought itself
> >  unless 'up' was explicitly specified.  Though, my 6.2 rc.conf settings are
> >  more along the lines of
> >
> >  ifconfig_iwi0="wme bmiss 100"
>
> I'm can't speak to why that particular combination causes the interface
> to be set up, but if you specifically don't want the device to be touched
> until you manually run /etc/rc.d/netif (or something similar) on it add
> the NOAUTO keyword to the line and the interface will be ignored on
> boot.  It was specifically intended to allow onboard wireless devices to be
> configured in /etc/rc.conf, but not start until an external trigger occurs.

Actually, I spoke too soon.  The interface comes up specificaly because you set
anything in the ifconfig_iwi0 variable.  That should be the case in 6.2 as
well.  The code that executed the "ifconfig iwi0 $ifconfig_iwi0"[0] bit first
does "ifconfig iwi0 up".

-- Brooks

[0] Actually not quite since we have magic keywords like DHCP, WPA, and
NOAUTO now and those get removed.