Re: panic: kmem_malloc(131072): kmem_map too small (AMD64)

From: Craig Boston <cb_at_severious.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:34:52 -0500
On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:28:36AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> You're all missing the point, I hate to say.  What happened is that a
> change was made recently to more accurately account for allocated
> memory.  Now people are getting kmem_map_too_small panics that weren't
> getting them before.  So while the accounting is now more accurate,
> the outcome is actually harmful.  That needs to be fixed before the
> release.

Agreed.  A month ago I had zfs running perfectly on many different i386
machines (albeit with some tweaking to kernel parameters).  With a
week-old current, it always panics sooner or later now, no matter how
low I set the ARC cache size or maxvnodes or how much I pump into
kmem_size.

Now kmem_map panics are being reported on amd64, which was pretty much
unheard of before.

If I can track down the exact change I'll just back it out of my local
tree.

Craig