Re: [freebsd-current] re: fsck_4.2bsd: cannot alloc 4294967292 bytes for inoinfo

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 05:01:37 +1100
On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 08:51:53AM -0400, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
>not the drive... As soon as I mount the drive and try to create
>filesystems on it I get a kernel panic
>(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=122380)
>
>	I even brought a 7.0 system up elsewhere, formatted it there,
>and mounted it on the Soekris system, and as soon as I start to use
>it it panics.

This sounds very much like data corruption between the flash and the
filesystem layer.

How does the flash connect to valhalla?  USB or card slot or ...?
Can you provide a verbose dmesg of da0 and all its parents?

Try dd'ing off the first 1MB or so using valhalla and also using one
of your other systems and compare the results.  My suspicion is that
there is either an off-by-1-sector or similar error or you will find
valhalla is reading chunks of 0xff bytes where it shouldn't.

--
Peter Jeremy