Re: Reminder: non-mpsafetty drivers to be *dis*connected on Sunday

From: Peter Wemm <peter_at_wemm.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 23:24:33 -0700
On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl> wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> * Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au> wrote:
>> On 2008-Aug-01 12:53:18 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>> >I got a syntax error on this email Peter, didn't you mean to write:
>> >
>> >"Great work Ed, let me send you some patches"
>>
>> I would love to be able to send some patches.  In order to do so, I
>> need some information about how to interface with the MPSAFE TTY
>> subsystem and how to adapt an existing driver.  I am not the only
>> person to have indicated a need for some hand-holding and I was under
>> the impression that Ed would provide this but, to date, all I have is
>> suggestions to look at patched drivers.
>
> I guess things went wrong, because I probably confused you with Peter
> Wemm (I know - I'm bad with names), who inquired about si(4). I did send
> him a message some time ago, to see if we could make an appointment to
> discuss how we could get si(4) working.
>
> Even though I agree with you that we need more documentation on the TTY
> layer's internals, my opinion is that other people should have shown
> more interest from the start. When I sent a message a couple of weeks
> ago, I almost immediately got a response from Alexander Kabaev (kan_at_).
> He wanted to help me with the dcons(4) driver, which he did. I just
> said: take a look at what I did to uart(4) and the console drivers and
> gave him some random advice. He was able to send me an almost flawless
> diff in a matter of hours, which he committed to the mpsafetty branch
> himself!
>
> Maybe I'm replying to too many messages at the same time, but as John
> said, it's a lot easier making the remaining drivers work after the code
> has been integrated. It's not like we're permanently carving things into
> stone - we've almost got a full year to get it all working again.

I'll be happy to work on si(4) once the code hits the tree.  Don't let
si(4) get in the way.  I have actual hardware (and use it 24x7), so
I've got some incentive.

--
Peter Wemm - peter_at_wemm.org; peter_at_FreeBSD.org; peter_at_yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete