Re: Reminder: non-mpsafetty drivers to be *dis*connected on Sunday

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:44:35 +0200
Hello Peter,

* Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au> wrote:
> On 2008-Aug-01 12:53:18 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> >I got a syntax error on this email Peter, didn't you mean to write:
> >
> >"Great work Ed, let me send you some patches"
>
> I would love to be able to send some patches.  In order to do so, I
> need some information about how to interface with the MPSAFE TTY
> subsystem and how to adapt an existing driver.  I am not the only
> person to have indicated a need for some hand-holding and I was under
> the impression that Ed would provide this but, to date, all I have is
> suggestions to look at patched drivers.

I guess things went wrong, because I probably confused you with Peter
Wemm (I know - I'm bad with names), who inquired about si(4). I did send
him a message some time ago, to see if we could make an appointment to
discuss how we could get si(4) working.

Even though I agree with you that we need more documentation on the TTY
layer's internals, my opinion is that other people should have shown
more interest from the start. When I sent a message a couple of weeks
ago, I almost immediately got a response from Alexander Kabaev (kan_at_).
He wanted to help me with the dcons(4) driver, which he did. I just
said: take a look at what I did to uart(4) and the console drivers and
gave him some random advice. He was able to send me an almost flawless
diff in a matter of hours, which he committed to the mpsafetty branch
himself!

Maybe I'm replying to too many messages at the same time, but as John
said, it's a lot easier making the remaining drivers work after the code
has been integrated. It's not like we're permanently carving things into
stone - we've almost got a full year to get it all working again.

Yours,
--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/

PS: The subject should have read "disconnected", not "connected".