Re: Reminder: non-mpsafetty drivers to be *dis*connected on Sunday

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:44:38 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <alpine.BSF.1.10.0808031835440.18760_at_fledge.watson.org>
            Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > In message: <20080801134435.GQ99951_at_hoeg.nl>
: >            Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl> writes: : Maybe I'm replying to too
: > many messages at the same time, but as John : said, it's a lot easier making
: > the remaining drivers work after the code : has been integrated. It's not
: > like we're permanently carving things into : stone - we've almost got a full
: > year to get it all working again.
: >
: > We've heard this promise before.  It rarely has resulted in the promised
: > work.  I don't think this is the right way forward.
:
: I have to admit that I was quite pleasantly surprised that so many
: network drivers became MPSAFE in the last couple of months, and USB
: will nicely round that out.  It may help if Ed could take whatever
: notes he sent Peter about sio and drop them on the Wiki as the
: beginning of a howto on adapting drivers to the new tty layer.  One
: thing I would really like to see is us taking this as an opportunity
: to get more people interested in maintaining the tty drivers we have
: -- now is a really good opportunity for people do adopt drivers and
: update them.
:
: I fall down a bit more on the Warner side here also: I think posting
: the docs in advance of removing the drivers, and having a couple of
: weeks gap between those events, is a much more productive way to
: achieve the goal of updated drivers.  It also means that we don't
: have timeline gaps when serial drivers for devices are broken: when
: people are playing the binary search game to find some other
: problem, the last thing they want is to hit dates where their system
: consoles don't work.

Yes.  It wouldn't kill us to push this out 4-6 weeks.  Having the docs
available, even in the wiki form, would help quite a bit.  We want to
harvest the enthusiasm people like Peter and Peter are showing to
convert their drivers.

Warner