Re: termcap under single luser

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_ceid.upatras.gr>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:56:21 +0300
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:45:10 +0900, Randy Bush <randy_at_psg.com> wrote:
>> As far as I can see, /rescue/vi reads the following termcap files:
>>
>> $HOME/.termcap
>> $HOME/.termcap.db
>> /usr/share/misc/termcap.db
>>
>> So copying /usr/share/misc/termcap.db to /root/.termcap.db works, at
>> least for single user.  Note the termcap files do reference some other
>> stuff under /usr/share/tabset, but it doesn't seem to matter much.
>
> reasonable looking hack.  and i may put in as a bridge, as i have a post
> world script.  thanks.
>
> but des took my hint.  i suspect that is the long-term path.  or, if
> space saving rules, remove vi and ex from /rescue.

That last bit seems like a step backwards.  I'd prefer a working termcap
in the root filesystem, or at least something like a 'minimal termcap'
with "cons25*", "vt100", "vt220" and a few other important terminal
types.  The bikeshed of which terminal types are "important" can be
colored deep navy blue, as long as we keep at least "cons25" and "vt220".