Re: ZFS patches.

From: John Nielsen <lists_at_jnielsen.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:48:57 -0400
On Monday 28 July 2008, John Nielsen wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008, David Grochowski wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Adam McDougall <mcdouga9_at_egr.msu.edu>
>
> wrote:

> > > Stop in /usr/src.
> >
> > I had the same issue. Try deleting
> > "/usr/src/sys/cddl/compat/opensolaris/sys/acl.h" and
> > "/usr/src/sys/cddl/compat/opensolaris/sys/callb.h" (make sure that
> > these files have a length of zero first!). When patching, these files
> > are supposed to be deleted, but were instead left as empty files.
> > Since these files are included before the actual ones in
> > "/usr/src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/sys", this will
> > cause a problem.
> >
> > Also, I would like to note that the patch has been working for me
> > without any problems.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out David, I had been scratching my head too.
> (Also thanks to those who posted reminders to use patch -p0).
>
> I'm now up and running with the patch and an upgraded zpool. No issues
> thus far. I even tried to reproduce the UDP NFS write lockup issue I
> reported recently and was unable to. Thanks PJD!

I experienced a couple panics yesterday while working with some video files
The panics didn't happen until after an hour or two of sustained activity
(heavy reading and writing to/from multiple files about 2GB in size). The
panic message (most recent) probably looks familiar:

panic:kmem_malloc(65536): kmem_map too small: 757669888 total allocated

This is on an i386 8-CURRENT box w/ the recent ZFS mega-patch applied:

%uname -a
FreeBSD stealth.jnielsen.net 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Jul 28
09:17:49 EDT 2008
john_at_stealth.jnielsen.net:/usr/obj/usr/src8/src/sys/STEALTH  i386

%zfs upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 3.
All filesystems are formatted with the current version.

%zpool upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 11.
All pools are formatted using this version.

The box has 1.25 GB RAM. The kernel is compiled with KVA_PAGES=384 and
vm.kmem_size and kmem_size_max are set to 768M.

Since the last panic I have set vfs.zfs.arc_max to 160M and I haven't gotten
another one, but I haven't had the same sustained activity since then
either. I'll keep an eye on it.

Just thought I'd send a report since I'm not sure if this is still expected
behavior with the new patch. I am of course also open to tuning
suggestions, though I have read the wiki and kept up on the mailing lists
and am willing to experiment to see what ends up working best for this
system.

Thanks,

JN