Re: Limiting icmp unreach response fron 348 to 200 packets/sec

From: Mike Tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:22:00 -0400
At 09:01 PM 8/15/2008, Erol Akarsu wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Thanks for helping this.
>
>Now, I am getting "Limiting icmp unreach response fron 348 to 200 packets/sec"

Hi,
         These questions are better asked on
freebsd-questions_at_freebsd.org.  But the above indicates processes are
hitting your freebsd server on ports where nothing is listenting and
the FreeBSD box is sending out "port unreachable" messages at a limit
of 200 per second, but if it were to answer all bogus requests the
rate would have been 348 per second.

>In which conditions can we get this? does this effect functionality
>of the system?

other hosts are accessing ports on your server where nothing is listening.

>How can I solve this issue?

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.blackhole=1
sysctl -w net.inet.udp.blackhole=1

to stop all the port unreachable messages, but ultimately find out
why your program / application is not listening on that port.

         ---Mike