Re: Possible regression with 200807 amd64 snapshot CD

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 00:30:05 -0700
Garrett Cooper wrote:
> When trying to install 7.0-RELEASE on amd64 with the snapshot CD for
> 8.0-CURRENT, I'm running into issues where I can't seem to install
> because the installer gets to a point where it just quits with a -1
> exit code.
>
> Looking at the console I see a load of "cpio: malformed number"
> messages scroll by the screen, which makes me think that the issue
> lays with either the integrity of the archives received, or there's a
> bug with cpio that's included in the snapshot CD.
>
> Could someone verify of disprove this issue please?

Oh.  Hmmm....  Looks like peter_at_ "upgraded" GNU cpio
in -CURRENT from 2.6 to 2.8 on July 10.  Skimming the source,
I see the same broken tar header parsing that I found in
GNU cpio 2.9 earlier tonight.

I'll see if I can get a fix into the GNU cpio code in -CURRENT,
unless someone wants to switch boot_crunch over to use bsdcpio.

Tim Kientzle