Re: Re: HEADSUP new usb code coming in.

From: Volker <volker_at_vwsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:08:22 +0200
On 12/23/-58 20:59, Antony Mawer wrote:
> M. Warner Losh wrote:
>> In message: <48AB566B.5010507_at_mawer.org>
>>             Antony Mawer <fbsd-current_at_mawer.org> writes:
>> : Warner Losh wrote:
>> : > From: Bakul Shah <bakul_at_bitblocks.com>
>> : > Subject: Re: HEADSUP new usb code coming in. : > Date: Tue, 19 Aug
>> 2008 14:18:13 -0700
>> : > : >> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:44:20 +0200 Hans Petter Selasky
>> <hselasky_at_c2i.net>  wrote:
>> : >>> New stuff (all of which I can remember right now):
>> : >>     ...
>> : >>
>> : >> Accidentally unplugging a mounted USB disk (without
>> : >> unmounting it) resulted in a hang or a crash.  Is this fixed?
>> : > : > That's fixed in -current right now with the old stack.  It
>> isn't a usb
>> : > issue at all, but a buffer cache issue.
>> : : Is this change that is likely to be MFC'd in time for 7.1? And/or
>> is : there a specific patch that can manually be applied to -STABLE to
>> fix this?
>>
>> I should spend the time to dig into the changes in current.  There
>> turned out to be several little changes...  And I need to verify all
>> the edge cases were covered...
>
> I'd be happy to test patches if you do end up doing this.. it would be
> really nice to have in 7.1, or at least available as a patchset if it
> isn't suitable for MFC (eg. ABI changes)...
>
> --Antony

Antony,

I'm a bit behind with reading emails. Please forgive me if this has
already been answered.

Don't expect the new USB stack for 7.1-R. It's too short and the new USB
stack will introduce an ABI breakage. For that, all drivers written for
the old USB stack need to be rewritten and I guess, we need to take care
about 3rd party developers and inform them in advance about that massive
change. I would not wonder if this will never get MFC'd but I don't know
actually.

HTH

Volker