Unicode-based FreeBSD

From: Alexander Churanov <alexanderchuranov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:56:11 +0400
Hi folks!

I'm posting to this list, because I didn't find anything more appropriate
and the only answer I've received on "freebsd-i18n_at_freebsd.org" was a
suggestion to post to "freebsd-current".

I am interested in FreeBSD internationalization and unicode support. I
already spent some time examining the source of syscons. I think that
syscons is the main problem in bringing full UTF-8 support to FreeBSD out of
box. It seems that I am ready with the solution. That's why I am writing to
this list.

I have following questions:

0) Is moving to UTF-8 from 8-bit codepages desired for FreeBSD?

1) Is unicode support in character-mode (I mean plain tty, not Xorg) FreeBSD
human interface alreay implemented?

2) Is somebody working on that?

3) What is the correct branch to check out source code? From what
repository?

4) What is the process of submitting changes?

Alexander Churanov