Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

From: Vadim Goncharov <vadim_nuclight_at_mail.ru>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:34:18 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Alexander Churanov!

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:16:53 +0300; Alexander Churanov wrote about 'Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD':

>> BTW, VGA hardware allows to use up to 512 characters in text-mode, not 256.
> Vadim,
> I know about this. However, converting UTF-8 to 8-bit for rendering is an
> easy first step. This fits well into existing system: fonts, screenmaps,
> etc. Of course, rendering 512 characters may help many people. This is
> linked to modifying the renderer and therefore is not scheduled for now. The
> highest current priority is to make technically possible switching whole
> system, including syscons, $LANG, X Window, applications, etc to UTF-8 input
> and output. Renderer improvement can be done separately.
> Alexander Churanov

If you are making the map for converting selected subset from Unicode, then
anyway that map will have new, different format (more than one byte for each
symbol), so then it can be done for 512 symbols right away. Current maps, fonts
just can be expanded from 256 to 512, filling missing part of file with e.g.
some default character...

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight_at_mail.ru
[Moderator of RU.ANTI-ECOLOGY][FreeBSD][http://antigreen.org][LJ:/nuclight]