Re: No root filesystem

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:51:44 -0400
On Friday 29 August 2008 03:36:46 am Pascal Hofstee wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 4:56 PM, John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Does 'acpidump -t' show a MCFG table?  Also, can you get the output
> > of 'devinfo -r' (with working kernel).
>
> Btw ... i posted a full verbose bootlog from the missing kernel in the
> other thread
> perhaps that might be useful in resolving this issue. See below:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2008-August/088099.html

So the reports I've seen of this all involve the Nvidia MCP55 ATA chipset, and
only the ata controller loses its marbles (so to speak).  Christian ran a
patch that tested each PCI config read and they always returned the same
value from both methods.  I think that this may be a weird bug in the ata
driver itself.  It might be helpful to add printfs to instrument the various
nvidia-specific ATA routines in sys/dev/ata/ata_chipset.c to compare the old
and new kernels.

--
John Baldwin