Re: Booting from gpt on i386/amd64?

From: Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev_at_physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 23:32:08 +0200
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:16:07PM +0200, Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> On 8/29/08, Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev_at_physik.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
> > Hello list!
> >
> > I have tried to install a system with pure gpt partitioning,
> > but haven't managed to boot from it.
> >
> > Is it my local problem?
> > What is the correct procedure of preparing gpt-only BIOS-bootable system?
> >

> You have all following lines (from gpart manual) in your >> custom << kernel?
>
> options GEOM_PART_APM
> options GEOM_PART_BSD
> options GEOM_PART_GPT
> options GEOM_PART_MBR
> options GEOM_PART_PC98
> options GEOM_PART_VTOC8

No, I am using GENERIC kernel. Is it neccessary to have *ALL* of them?
I mean GENERIC have essential ones:

> grep GEOM GENERIC
options         GEOM_PART_GPT           # GUID Partition Tables.
options         GEOM_LABEL              # Provides labelization

Man page also says:

[snip]
To add support for the disk partitioning GEOM class, place one or more of
the following lines in your kernel configuration file:
[snip]

I can compile custom kernel with all the above options, but it seems to me
that the system freezes before passing execution to loader(8)
(and the kernel too).

Thanks for the reply,
Alexey.