Re: i give up

From: Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken_at_mthelicon.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:03:00 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: "cpghost" <cpghost_at_cordula.ws>
To: "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads_at_cox.net>
Cc: <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: i give up

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 10:06:43PM -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>> Best wishes to the FreeBSD community.  No hard feelings, and I will
>> still continue to checkout the latest sources from time to time just on
>> the outside chance that a solution will eventually be found.
>>
>> Sincerest regards from a long-time FreeBSD user now in exile.  :-(
>
> Changing the OS just because one specific piece of swappable and
> replaceable hardware isn't supported... isn't that overreacting a
> little bit? Can't you circumvent your specific problem by adding a
> supported adapter to your system(s)... at least until the issue is
> fixed? As sysadmins, we do this all the time, wether with Linux or
> FreeBSD.
>
> I feel your pain, but maybe you've built up quite a bit of frustration
> over this specific issue and need a little hiatus.
>
> I hope you'll come back soon.
>
>> Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
>
> -cpghost.

    I have also had the same problem as Conrad with the nVidia drivers. I
think the most fustrating thing about my situation is that I have not found
a supported PCI-e card that there exists 2D acceleration / opengl drivers.
At the moment I have shoved in a ATI Radeon HD and keep checking the
developers webpage for the glorious day they finish the piece for my
chip-set (Its still not 2D accelerated, but atleast it still works).

    In my situation, there are no computer stores that I can go into and
say, "Hey.. I would like a PCI-e Intel based video card." I have to pick up
pieces of hardware where it is convient and this means usually at the
bleading edge of video-gamers "marketable" choice (ATI or nVidia).

-Peg

-Peg