Re: i give up

From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:12:17 +0100
Sergey Zaharchenko schrieb:

> Huh, I haven't had any serious problems with neither the nForce2 chipset
> my m/b is based on (including the nfe/nve Ethernet card) nor with the
> nVidia FX 5200 video card. I guess that's because both are quite antique
> by now. In general, the newer the stuff, the harder it might be to get
> it to work. This might apply to nVidia more than to other stuff, but in
> general it's just better to be able to check compatibility, e.g. using a
> LiveCD on a friend's machine...

OTOH, the "older" is where new problems start, nVidia has several series of
"legacy" drivers, and they show various issues if used with recent Linux
kernels, or recent X.org server version... The FX5200 is legacy now,
supported by the (nowadays outdated) 173 series of drivers -- which relies
on compat5x and doesn't support PAE, to mention two issues with that...