Re: i give up

From: Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:39:23 -0800
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Robert Noland <rnoland_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 01:51 -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:

>> > Correct, Despite my occasional frustration with them, Intel is very
>> > supportive.  They are providing docs and code (linux code) and I have a
>> > decent relationship with the Intel graphics devs.
>> >
>> > ATI/AMD has also become much more friendly and r500 and below should
>> > work fairly well.  r600+ is still under development.
>> >
>> > Interestingly enough, VIA just released docs on some of their chips as
>> > well.  I have it on my list to work on, but I don't yet have hardware to
>> > work with.
>> >
>> > robert.

>> Eh? ATI can't write drivers to get themselves out of a cardboard box
>> on Linux, let alone FreeBSD. I have little faith that they'll get
>> functional 64-bit drivers before nVidia does, as ATI as definitely
>> demonstrated that they don't care for the *BSD market as much as
>> nVidia has.
>
> I'm not referring to ATI/AMDs proprietary drivers.  They are providing
> open documentation now, as well as information that isn't yet public
> when I ask for it.  So, I'm speaking about the open drm/mesa/Xorg
> driver, which afaik is working pretty well on r500 and below now.
>
> robert.

Well, yeah. I was referring to the proprietary drivers though, because
all you get is 2D acceleration with the open ATI/nVidia drivers.
Given the fact that r500 is rather old too though... that lags a lot
more behind nVidia -- but I'm sure that's due to volunteering and lack
of man-hours because nVidia has a few devs dedicated towards
maintaining their driver on *BSD.
-Garrett