Problems with zfsboot loader if raidz present on any drive

From: Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken_at_mthelicon.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 03:19:18 +0000
Hello Hackers,

	Recently and friend and I have been trying to get the new gptzfsboot working
on our machines and ran into a interesting problem.

	Initially I was building the world without the environment variable
LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT=YES in the /etc/make.conf and this, of course, didnt work
very well. Every time the machine booted, it would throw 2 lines after the
pin-wheel and then reboot. I couldent read what the lines were it went so
fast.

	My friend had a bit more luck and got his machine working OK with a single
drive and later a mirror drive added.

	I added the environment variable and rebuilt everything and installed. This
time, I could see the bios drives and a further 2 lines of ZFS something and a
reboot...

	No matter what I tried, I couldent get the machine to boot up to a point
where I could try and fix the problem, so I started pulling devices out and
found the following: If there is a raidz pool on any drive (not necessarily
the one that you are trying to boot from) the loader dies and reboots the
machine. My friend, as an experiment created 3 gpt partitions (in addition to
the single partition that he had been previously booted from) on his single
drive and made a raidz pool for testing. His machine showed the same condition
as mine, however he was able to capture the message before the machine
rebooted:

<message>
ZFS: can only boot from disk or mirror vdevs

ZFS: inconsistent nvlist contents

/
</message>

~Peg