Re: i give up

From: Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 19:07:54 -0600
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:15:37 +0100
cpghost <cpghost_at_cordula.ws> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 10:06:43PM -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > Best wishes to the FreeBSD community.  No hard feelings, and I will
> > still continue to checkout the latest sources from time to time
> > just on the outside chance that a solution will eventually be found.
> >
> > Sincerest regards from a long-time FreeBSD user now in exile.  :-(
>
> Changing the OS just because one specific piece of swappable and
> replaceable hardware isn't supported... isn't that overreacting a
> little bit? Can't you circumvent your specific problem by adding a
> supported adapter to your system(s)... at least until the issue is
> fixed? As sysadmins, we do this all the time, wether with Linux or
> FreeBSD.
>
> I feel your pain, but maybe you've built up quite a bit of frustration
> over this specific issue and need a little hiatus.
>
> I hope you'll come back soon.

I agree with you totally in principle, but my current financial
situation/credit standing is such that I was forced to purchase this
machine from one of the few vendors willing to offer me a line of
credit.  :-(

If I could, I would gladly replace the non-functioning components, but
I'm just too strapped for cash at the moment, so...

I'm continuing to hold out hope that I can provide the missing bits of
the puzzle that will lead to a solution.  But I've already passed along
everything I could get from Windows Vista's System Information tool,
Linux's lspci command, and FreeBSD's pciconf and dmesg.  I don't know
what more iI can provide at this point.

As another poster suggested, it's possible there's a bug/typo in the
patches Soren sent me, although they all apply quite cleanly to every
successive version of current I've tried them on.  So...I'm at a loss
at this point.  It really is frustrating.

I'm no fan of either Windows or Linux, but at least they do recognize
my hardware.  So I'm stuck for the time being.  <sigh>

If anyone's interested, I'll repost or mail directly to them all the
pertinent info I can gather.  Just say the word and it shall be done.

Thanks.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>