Re: No sound from snd_hda

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:49:35 +0200
Damian Gerow wrote:
> I've got an Intel HDA device that is sort-of detected, but I get no sound
> from it:
>
> -----
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2007061600/amd64)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <HDA Conexant (Unknown) PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0 kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex default)
> pcm1: <HDA Conexant (Unknown) PCM #1 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0 kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex)
> -----
>
> The same device looked almost exactly the same on a 7.1-BETA build, but I
> actually had audio output.
>
> I've checked the mixer device, tried muting and unmuting various channels,
> all to no avail.  The audio devices are created, and every program I've
> tried opens them successfully, but I get no actual sound.
>
> I've tried searching around, but I haven't been able to turn anything up.
> Is there something I'm missing?  Something I should be doing that I'm not?

You are missing new snd_hda man page reading. RTFM. :)

1) Read new man page;
2) Driver provides you two pcm devices for different purposes, so try to
use both (as man page recommends);
3) If your system has several audio connectors - try all of them, they
are not equal any more.
4) Boot with verbose logs enabled to get much more information about
your codec and driver operation (as man page recommends);
5) Connexant audio codecs are rare, so send your verbose output to me, I
would like to see it.

--
Alexander Motin