Re: HEADSUP usb2 (usb4bsd) to become default in 2 weeks.

From: Wilko Bulte <wb_at_freebie.xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:37:39 +0100
Quoting Rink Springer, who wrote on Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 05:23:36PM +0100 ..
> Hi people,
>
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 01:40:10PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > We're going to usher in the New Year with a new usb stack.
> >
> > Now is the time to test, test, test.
> >
> > It is also the time to point out anything missing from usb2 that
> > is in usb1.
> >
> > In two weeks, on Jan 3rd I will switch the GENERIC kernel to use
> > usb2.
> >
> > The old usb code will remain in case there is any fallout.
> >
> > Depending on how this trial goes we will hopefully move to the new
> > stack entirely within a few weeks after bug reports start dying
> > down.
>
> For what it's worth, I think this is *way* too early to be even
> considering this; there is still massive fundamental work being
> performed on the new stack (which reminds me that I really should get
> back to my permission patches soonish), but that is not the only
> issue.

Guys.. is there any reason why this needs to be rushed in over the Christmas
break?  Getting it in the tree, fine.  But making USB2 the default so
quickly does not appear to be proper engineering procedure.

The days that CURRENT was broken for long periods is not something the
project wants to get back to.  The discussions sofar do not make me believe
this will be a smooth transition, it seems it will need testing and fixing for
a reasonable (considerable?) period.

Wilko
speaking for myself this time