Re: HEADSUP usb2 (usb4bsd) to become default in 2 weeks.

From: Rink Springer <rink_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:23:36 +0100
Hi people,

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 01:40:10PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> We're going to usher in the New Year with a new usb stack.
>
> Now is the time to test, test, test.
>
> It is also the time to point out anything missing from usb2 that
> is in usb1.
>
> In two weeks, on Jan 3rd I will switch the GENERIC kernel to use
> usb2.
>
> The old usb code will remain in case there is any fallout.
>
> Depending on how this trial goes we will hopefully move to the new
> stack entirely within a few weeks after bug reports start dying
> down.

For what it's worth, I think this is *way* too early to be even
considering this; there is still massive fundamental work being
performed on the new stack (which reminds me that I really should get
back to my permission patches soonish), but that is not the only
issue.

For example, is anyone looking forward to porting Weongyo Jeong's NDIS
USB patches to USB2 and then having to figure out if breakage arises
from his work, from the new USB2 stack from a combination of the two?
It'd be best for all just to let that mature out in HEAD.

My suggestion is that we attempt to get the new USB2 stack in a shape
where we believe we only need to fix bugs in it, and not fundamentally
alter the design of it.

Truth to be told, as limited as the old stack is, it does its work for
most people, so if we throw the switch to the new stack, we'd be
advertising that we have a new, stable-enough-for-GENERIC USB2 stack.

I'd suggest that after the big changes are in, we wait at least a month
or 2 before we start raising the question "USB2, are we there yet?"

Regards,

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
"Chance favours the prepared mind"