Re: HEADSUP usb2 (usb4bsd) to become default in 2 weeks.

From: Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:53:30 +0000
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:40:10 -0800
Alfred Perlstein <alfred_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> We're going to usher in the New Year with a new usb stack.
>
> Now is the time to test, test, test.

I've found a few issues when testing my OpenMoko phone with the
new stack.

I know this has already been reported
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2008-September/005462.html)
but I'd expect that loading usb2_ethernet_cdce would make the phone
attach as a CDCE device, but it still attaches using ugen.  I don't
know if this is possible but could the usb stack automatically use
config 1 when it attaches, knowing that RNDIS (config 0) isn't
supported yet?

I also noticed that usbconfig(8) refers to usb2_core(4) which doesn't
exist.

Something strange is going on with one of my USB ports.  A CSR
Bluetooth dongle gets detected, but nothing else plugged in does.

usbconfig list:
[...]
ugen2.1: <OHCI root HUB ATI> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps)
pwr=ON
[...]
ugen2.2: <Bluetooth USB dongle Cambridge Silicon Radio> at usbus2,
cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON

Could this be because the CSR device is a FULL-speed device but
everything else I have (a Broadcom EDR dongle, flash drive and an
OpenMoko phone) are all HIGH-speed devices?

If usbconfig needs root privileges to work, it should say so.  It
currently reports "No device match" when it should probably say that
the current user isn't root, to avoid confusion.

Should usbconfig(8) document the commands?

Finally, ugen devices don't report being unplugged - I'd expect to be
told that the device has gone away.

--
Bruce Cran