Re: Network slowdown on lo0 introduced with svn186119/186121

From: Christian Gusenbauer <c47g_at_gmx.at>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 22:33:35 +0100
Hi Qing!

Amanda uses two processes which communicate using a localhost-based tcp
connection. I assume one of them is dump'ing the partition and sends the
blocks to the other process, which stores them on tape or to another hard
disk (which is the way I configured it). I did not configure amanda to use
the localhost address though.

My method of measurement is rather simple: a backup of my root partition (~
800 MB) lasts about a 3 minutes with a kernel based on revision 186107. Using
a kernel based on revision 186121 a backup of the same partition lasts more
than 9 hours! I tested kernels of revisions 186133, 186150, 186176 and HEAD
of today morning CET - all showing the same slowdown. Revisions 185984,
186061 and 186107 are ok.

I did some tests with the 'echo' and 'discard' services of inetd, too, but I
was not able to reproduce this slowdown.

Many thanks,
Christian.