Re: FreeBSD 7.0 on DVD

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:45:03 +0100
Bachilo Dmitry wrote:
> --===============1475038008==
>
> R29vZCBkYXksIGV2ZXJ5Ym9keS4KQXMgZmFyIGFzIEkga25vdyB0aGVyZSB3aWxsIGJlIG5vdyAz
> IGluc3RhbGxhdGlvbiBDRHMgZm9yIEZyZWVCU0QgNy4wLCBJIAp3b25kZXIsIGlzbid0IGl0IGEg
> dGltZSB0byBiZWdpbiBtYWtpbmcgdGhlIEZyZWVCU0QgaW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uIERWRHMuIFNpbnNl
> IAptb3N0IHBlb3BsZSBhbHJlYWR5IGhhdmUgdGhpcyBkcml2ZSBhbnl3YXksIHdoeSBub3QgbWFr
> ZSB0aGUgRFZEIGFsIGxlYXN0IGFzIAphbiBvcHRpb24/IEl0IHdvdWxkIHNvIGVhc2UgdGhlIGlu
> c3RhbGwgcHJvY2Vzcywgd2hpY2ggbm93IHJlcXVpcmUgdG8gY2hhbmdlIAp0aGUgQ0RzIG1ha2lu
> ZyB0aGUgYXV0b2luc3RhbGwgaW1wb3NzaWJsZS4KCldoYXQgZG8gSSB1bmRlcnN0YW5kIHdyb25n
> PwotLSAK8yDV18HWxc7Jxc0sIAriwd7JzM8g5M3J1NLJygry1cvP18/EydTFzNggz9TExczBINPJ
> 09TFzc7PyiDJztTFx9LBw8nJCu/v7yAi68/N0MHOydEg88/Myc7LIgpyb290QHNvbGluay5ydQo=

My EXMH doesnt seem to repond well above, clicking on reply.
So, Mouse copying off screen that is:

> Good day, everybody.
> As far as I know there will be now 3 installation CDs for FreeBSD 7.0, I
> wonder, isn't it a time to begin making the FreeBSD installation DVDs. Sinse
> most people already have this drive anyway, why not make the DVD al least as
> an option? It would so ease the install process, which now require to change
> the CDs making the autoinstall impossible.
>
> What do I understand wrong?

This could be a FAQ !

There are already others rollings DVDs of BSD, I can't remember
URLs, look on maybe DesktopBSD.org based on FreeBSD or ? & Others
been doing it for years too for commercial sale.

As FreeBSD can't give up rolling CDs, rolling DVDs would just be
More work for the re_at_ team, so it's their choice if they want to
do yet more work. I guess they might not as they've just pushed out
6.3 & still working on 7.0 :-)

Nothing to stop others writing scripts on top of or diffs to src/release to
generate DVDs, ( I did similar years back for my own CD set extensions)
but it's work maintaining changes to src/release & ports build, &
then you need to distribute your images. More unpaid work.

Would be attractive if FreeBSD were a a commercial company.
(& some of re_at_ work I think for CD/DVD distributors), so maybe
already available via eg FreeBSDMall or whoever else if you pay $$.

Additionaly, free ftp mirror sites might not be keen on larger
incremental loads of DVD size rather than CD size.

Click via Getting FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org/where.html
to http://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/fm
and you can "Pre-Order FreeBSD 7.0 DVD"

BTW
Anyone know if Dimitry should change his mailer sender config &/
or If I need a config tweak to my EXmh-2.7.2 On FreeBSD-6.2-RELEASE,
to avoid the mess above on clicking "Reply-All".  (No I'm not looking
for "Abandon EXMH, use my better XYZ", but if there's a
config tweak to EXMH ? )

--
Julian Stacey.  BSD Unix Linux Net Consultant, Munich.  http://berklix.com