Re: FreeBSD 7.0 on DVD

From: Jeff Palmer <jeff_at_rexdb.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 10:10:26 -0500
Bachilo Dmitry wrote:
> Good day, everybody.
> As far as I know there will be now 3 installation CDs for FreeBSD 7.0, I
> wonder, isn't it a time to begin making the FreeBSD installation DVDs. Sinse
> most people already have this drive anyway, why not make the DVD al least as
> an option? It would so ease the install process, which now require to change
> the CDs making the autoinstall impossible.
>
> What do I understand wrong?

> !DSPAM:8,47a2edb522631220317355!

Personally,  I think the DVD would be a huge waste of resources.  Most
people only need the bootonly or disk 1.  You are talking about 650 megs
vs. (possibly) 1.5 gigs.  That is a significant bandwidth difference.
Some OS's *require* that you download multiple CD's for a typical
install.. for those projects, DVD media just makes sense.  for freebsd,
it doesn't.

The above is, of course, my own opinion.

Jeff