Re: [HEADS UP] ar(1) front-end committed. (notes for cross compile)

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:48:05 +0100
Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> - Handle upgrades nicely: use GNU ar(1) during the build on older
>   systems, and use BSD ar(1) on newer systems.  For now, always
>   bootstrap BSD ar(1) on newer systems during the build (in case
>   some bugs pop up), but after some period of testing, we can stop
>   unconditionally bootstrapping it.

I would *really* like BSD ar to be used to build world regardless of
host system version, at least on the tinderbox.  Isn't it possible to
use GNU ar just for the toolchain, then BSD ar for the "real" world?
Doesn't adding ar to bootstrap-tools take care of that?

Note that the tinderbox *always* cross-builds, even when building for
the platform it runs on.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no