Re: [HEADS UP] ar(1) front-end committed. (notes for cross compile)

From: Kai Wang <kaiwang27_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 19:27:09 +0100
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:52:32AM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>> Unfortunalely, since we provide the WITH_GNUAR option, we don't know if
>> /usr/bin/ar and /usr/bin/ranlib are GNU or BSD versions, so we should
>> always bootstrap BSD ar(1).
>
> Can we determine this at runtime by running ar -v. If
                                              ar -V
> the output is more than 20 lines, it's GNU ar :-)

That's true :-)

> Seriously: we could run ar --version (provided we add
> the support for that to BSD ar) and check the first
> word. It's either GNU or BSD (provided the output of
> BSD ar starts with BSD).

Also true, in order to be more compatible with Binutils ar, we added
long options support two weeks ago as suggested by Steve Kargl. Only
two long option is supported: --version and --help, and --version output
start with BSD.

> This should eliminate any and all kind of guessing and
> should help in getting FreeBSD buildable on non-FreeBSD
> systems as well.
>
> Just a thought...

well... I know little about build system, but this sounds to me
like a "hack"... Also ru_at_ pointed out using /usr/bin/ar to build
world is a bug, I think he's right and probably always bootstrap
'BSD' ar would be safer?