Re: [HEADS UP] ar(1) front-end committed. (notes for cross compile)

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:55:41 -0800
On Feb 22, 2008, at 10:27 AM, Kai Wang wrote:

>> This should eliminate any and all kind of guessing and
>> should help in getting FreeBSD buildable on non-FreeBSD
>> systems as well.
>>
>> Just a thought...
>
> well... I know little about build system, but this sounds to me
> like a "hack"... Also ru_at_ pointed out using /usr/bin/ar to build
> world is a bug, I think he's right and probably always bootstrap
> 'BSD' ar would be safer?

I disagree, because following along those lines, we should
rebuild everything we possibly use for a build, including
/bin/sh. We only need to deal with bootstrapping and for
that we have the corresponding target. This means that if we
don't have BSD ar on the system (or we have it, but it's
missing features we use), we build it. Otherwise we just use
it.

Mind you: this is just expressing my view point. I don't
care in particular how we end up implementing it...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com