Re: Gathering a list of showstoppers for RELENG_7

From: Bruce A. Mah <bmah_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 07:52:36 -0800
If memory serves me right, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> 	As part of the new Cisco FreeBSD ramp-up, I've noted that there's
> been some concern about showstoppers for RELENG_7 as of late. So, I
> was just wondering what the current showstoppers are for 7.x and
> possibly how I can help triage issues in the next couple weeks, etc,
> to accelerate the release a bit.
> 	I may not have access to a PC at all times nor a FreeBSD machine, but
> I should be able to assign bugs or CC owners, or help debug some more
> common items. I'll also try getting VMware fusion in the upcoming week
> to work from my laptop and help out in some way shape or form in person.

The release builds for 7.0 are underway now.

What oftentimes happens very late in the release cycle (and this was
true for 7.0) is that we find some issues that crop up that need to be
fixed.  They're usually assigned pretty quickly to "owners" (in fact the
owners are oftentimes the ones that report these problems), so many
times there isn't a lot for other people to do, and these issues don't
even make it into the PR database.

I admit that we could (and should) do better in communicating status to
other developers and the community at large.  This is mostly helpful in
the early and middle stages of the release cycle.

This is clearly *not* to say that FreeBSD doesn't need help with
testing, bug management, and so forth, in fact quite the opposite is
true.  I mean only to say that 7.0 doesn't have anything blocking it.

Thanks!

Bruce.