Re: [HEADS UP] ar(1) front-end committed. (notes for cross compile)

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:35:55 -0800
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:18:25AM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> We've been traditionally (ab)using __FreeBSD_version to bootstrap
> things in this way, without necessarily bumping __FreeBSD_version.
> There are two reasons: 1) we often don't know if a particular bug
> or change affects bootstrapping, so we don't always bump it.  For
> example, a change in libc may cause some utility to be put to the
> list of bootstrap-tools, and we don't discover it until the
> version is bumped for another reason.

Right, but once you've attached added significance to a particular
__FreeBSD_version (after the fact) it really should be documented
in the Porter's Handbook.  At least I used to go add to a particular
__FreeBSD_version entry once I started using that value for something
other than the original bumping reason.

> 2) there's no harm in bootstrapping more than necessary.

Duplicated effort, and long build world times.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)