(unknown charset) Re: [HEADS UP] ar(1) front-end committed. (notes for cross compile)

From: (unknown charset) David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:32:55 -0800
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 03:41:45AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smrgrav wrote:
> "David O'Brien" <obrien_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> > I don't like "gar" as that is pronounceable to the point I could easily
> > see that being the real name of an existing program.
>
> I've told you already that there is no such program in ports.  In
> addition, no project by that name is registered in SourceForge, cia.vc
> or ohloh.net.

Did you look in every ~/bin and /usr/local/bin?

> I don't see the point of being inconsistent just because
> you can pronounce "gar".

DES - why do you care??  Are you planning on invoking it directly?

Additionally from what's been said, various autoconf configs may even
explicity look for gar and use it instead of /usr/bin/ar.  Given your
desire to replace GNU ar with this new ar, why would you not want to use
it everywhere?

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)