Re: sbrk(2) broken

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 10:07:22 +0100
Jason Fesler <jfesler_at_gigo.com> writes:

>> Also, may I humbly inject a user centric view here - it is pretty annoying to
>> be limited to 500 MB of mallocable memory on 32 bit machines when you expect
>> 3 GB to be usable (with 1 GB mapped to the kernel).
>
> amen.  :-(   Has anyone tried upgrading a system from i386 to amd_64
> with any success?

"Sidegrading" is supposed to work now in HEAD; with a little hacking,
you can build an amd64 world and kernel on the i386 world, install the
kernel, reboot, and install world.  AFAIK, the required hacking involves
copying /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 to /libexec/ld-elf32.so.1 before rebooting
so the new kernel will be able to run the old binaries.  It should also
be possible to install an amd64 world *before* rebooting, in which case
you don't need the aforementioned hackery (installworld will do it for
you) but you may have trouble doing anything at all after installworld
since your new world will not run on the old kernel.  The install
process itself doesn't care, since it copies all the i386 binaries and
libraries it needs before installing anything.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no