Re: When will ZFS become stable?

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 18:20:52 +0100
Kris Kennaway wrote:

>  > Better yet, why not
>> increase both vm.kmem_size and KVA_PAGES to (the equivalent of) 640 MB
>> or 768 MB by default for 7.0?
>
> That is answered in the tuning guide.  Tuning KVA_PAGES by default is
> not appropriate.

Ok. I'd like to understand what is the relationship between KVA_PAGES
and vm.kmem_size. The tuning guide says:

"""By default the kernel receives 1GB of the 4GB of address space
available on the i386 architecture, and this is used for all of the
kernel address space needs, not just the kmem map. By increasing
KVA_PAGES you can allocate a larger proportion of the 4GB address
space..."""

and:

"""recompile your kernel with increased KVA_PAGES option, to increase
the size of the kernel address space, before vm.kmem_size can be
increased beyond 512M"""

What is the other 512 MB of the 1 GB used for?