state of 7.0-RC1 on an IBM t60p

From: Josh Paetzel <josh_at_tcbug.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 11:02:34 -0600
I recently installed FBSD 7.0-BETA4 on my laptop in an effort to get working
intel 3945abg wireless.  I bumped it up to 7.0-RC1 the other day.  I've been
in a bit of a state health wise and have gotten to the point where i need to
depend on my laptop, so it has to go back to releng_6, but I thought I'd
write out the problems I've been having.

1) wpi is nearly non-functional.  It seems to associate best to WPA2 networks,
struggles with WEP and won't associate at all to open networks.  Once it's
associated it spams the console with "discarding packet without header"
and "wpi_cmd: couldn't set tx power" quite a bit, as well as other random
output.  The real problem I've had with it is that it panics under moderate
data rates, in the 1000-1500K/sec range.

2) pantech px-500 evdo pccard.  This thing uses the ucom/umodem driver and
panics after a few seconds of transfer at anything over 30K/sec or so.  It
also panics instantly on insertion or removal.  I've been unable to get a
crash dump or to the debugger for this, my swap is encrypted and seeming gets
cleared before savecore runs, and i've been unable to dump to usb swap
devices.  (The card is a pccard that has a usb controller with a usb-> serial
adapter on it)

3) sutdown output is garbled.  This doesn't seem to hurt anything,  but at
some point in shutdown the console messages start interleaving.

4) acpi suspend and resume doesn't work, but that's not a huge shock.l

5) ath generates interrupt storms that are throttled.

console output snippet....

wpi0: link state changed to UP
wpi0: could not set power mode
wpi0: wpi_cmd: cmd 119 not sent, busy
wpi0: could not set power mode
wpi0: wpi_cmd: cmd 151 not sent, busy
wpi0: could not adjust Tx power
wpi0: wpi_cmd: cmd 72 not sent, busy
wpi0: link state changed to DOWN
wpi0: wpi_cmd: cmd 119 not sent, busy
wpi0: could not set power mode
wpi0: wpi_cmd: cmd 119 not sent, busy
wpi0: could not set power mode
wpi0: wpi_cmd: cmd 72 not sent, busy
wpi0: wpi_cmd: cmd 16 not sent, busy
wpi0: could not configure
wpi0: could not send authentication request
ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0x88000000-0x8800ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on
cardbus0
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ath0: using obsoleted if_watchdog interface
ath0: Ethernet address: 00:1b:2f:5e:fa:d7
ath0: mac 7.9 phy 4.5 radio 5.6
interrupt storm detected on "irq16:"; throttling interrupt source

Hopefully soon I'll  be in a better position to help debug and troubleshoot,
for now all I can do is enumerate my issues.

dmesg and stuff attached...

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB